Pea protein has become increasingly popular and with a shift towards less meat consumption and more plant-based eating, the need for high-quality, plant-based meat alternatives has increased exponentially.
What’s Driving this Change?
The reasons are twofold; growing concern for the environment and the positive health benefits of plant-based meat alternatives.
Global food production is responsible for a third of all planet-heating gases emitted by human activity. A major new study has found that the use of animals for meat causes twice the pollution of producing plant-based foods.
Because of this, pea protein has ascended as a promising alternative and has become increasingly popular among food manufacturers, particularly those concerned with vegan and vegetarian nutrition, due to its balanced amino acid spread and high protein concentration.
Pea Protein advantage
Our pea protein isolate is a natural vegetable protein produced from peas and contains 80-85% pea protein in conventional and certified organic grades. It consists of nutrients that are essential for human health, as well as functional properties that make it easy to use:
Here are just a few benefits of our pea protein:
- Pea protein comprises all of the essential amino acids that your body can’t produce on its own and must get from food.
- It also contains many branched-chain amino acids, including arginine, promoting good blood flow and heart health.
- It’s is a highly bio-available protein option, free of milk, ideal for dairy sensitivities and allergies.
While it is mainly used as a meat replacement or alternative in a variety of products such as vegan chicken, burgers, sausages and textured pea protein, its premium functionality also allows it to be used in:
- milk and cheese products where it makes up for low range essential amino acids,
- animal feed industry as a nutritional supplement,
- baking products where it enhances emulsification stability and water retention
- noodles and pasta, increasing the internal strength and improving the colour and flavour.
How is Pea protein made?
Pea protein powder is a supplement made by extracting protein from yellow peas. The peas are dehulled, ground and then stirred with water. The protein is then isolated in liquid format and undergoes a homogenous shear step from which the end product is flash, evaporated and spray-dried to result in the final Meat Analogue powder.
The Redox benefit.
Our pea protein isolate is processed under strict quality controls to ensure the best quality ingredients for the market. All products are produced under the ISO International Environment, ISO9001 Quality Management and HACCP Food Safety Management Systems, along with Green Food, FDA American, KOSHER and HALAL Certification.
Working with a supplier that can ensure consistent quality is essential; Redox is in a great position to meet and exceed your expectations.
Contact one of our specialists to learn how Redox can become an integral part of your sourcing strategy.